Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Minnesota State Fair 2011

We love the Minnesota State Fair! I think it's a safe bet that we were really excited to go this year more than any other because we knew we wouldn't be able to go again for another three years. We pulled out all the stops in our excitement: chose two days we were going to go, downloaded the iPhone app, scoped out the new foods, and bought our admission tickets in advance.

That iPhone app helped make this the best State Fair yet. it gave us our GPS location and told us what foods were nearby and we could even filter foods from the bargain book and the new 2011 food options. We didn't even have to plot out a course for activities or their timing throughout the day because a handy schedule of all of the events were conveniently organized at our fingertips.

The first day we met up with my parents, my aunt, my sister Sarah, and my brother Caleb. It was on Saturday, August 27 and Bryant, Sarah and I got there at 7:30am and B and I ended up being there for 14 hours. We were a little of tired at the end of that day. :)

We took several snapshots of the food and fun things we saw so I'll show you some here!


DAY ONE
Bryant and I took the city bus and met Sarah there at 7:30 for breakfast because the SF bus routes begin at 8am. We had always wanted to have breakfast at the fair! Here is Sarah with the blue ribbon bargain book that gave us some good deals. We had pancakes and coffee at the Lunch Box.

Before we went to the Lunch Box Sarah and I were pumped to try the new Breakfast Lollipop at Axel's. It was a sausage patty dipped in corn meal, fried and finished off with syrup. It was yummy.

The 27th was 4H day! We got to see kids show their animals and the most adorable prize went to all the kids showing their rabbits! It was so cute!

OK, the lambs look funny when they're in their "pajamas" for the evening so I had to get a picture of this one. He sure took a liking to Bryant. :)

This was lunch time. I had a new food-- a Pretzel-wrapped hot dog. It was pretty good! A bit salty for my taste, but that is the best part of going to the fair with a fun group--you all get to taste the stuff and share! Sarah was eating cheese curds here (classic!) 

Deep-fried candy bars are not new to us, but we still revel in their amazingness. These workers in the booth were from Iowa and were fun to talk to. The fried oreos are my fave.

Sarah needed to try a new kind so she got the fried snickers bar.

I love how we were on the hunt for dessert right after our lunch. A big part of the fair for us really is experiencing food so we were all pumped that Caleb wanted to get deep-fried cheese cake. Caleb was so excited he took a bite before I had time to snap a photo.

Up on Machinery Hill was the GIANT SING ALONG! This was a super fun idea! We loved getting up there and singing songs we really didn't know (I'd like to Teach the World to Sing).
Dinner time! This is my Aunt Ellen who joined us that afternoon. We all went to the Texas Steak House on Machinery Hill and Ellen had the potato-curl-wrapped foot-long hot-dog (or something like that) while wearing a really clever hat from Gander Mountain. I had a phenomenal bargain-book meal: Texas Dinner on a Stick! (I thought this was original until I realized it was just a kebab...see the below story about a deep fried pie) but hey, it's the state fair! So it's BETTER! Seriously, though... the dry rub on the steak... and the tender potatoes... and the sweet bell peppers... oh my gosh my mouth is watering...



DAY TWO
Just Bryant and me. This was our day to get everything we missed the first day. Beginning with: deep fried apple pie. Also thought to be a deliciously original idea... until you get it and realize it isn't original idea at all and McDonald's has been serving these 2/$.99 for years. BUT NOT AT THE STATE FAIR with CINNAMON ICE CREAM! It really was a treat, despite that realization......... okwhatsnext????

I'll tell you what's next! My mom bought two tickets for roasted corn on Saturday but only used one, so we got a free ear of the sweetest corn I've ever tasted. Bryant was pretty excited too. :)

A lot went on between the last photo and this one, but I don't have photos of all of it. However, this was certainly delicious documentation of a new food ala stick MNSF 2011: deep fried cookie dough! It was ooey gooey amazeballs of cookie dough.

In honor of George Michal Bluth and Arrested Development we bought a chocolate-covered banana (with a coupon from the bargain book). There's always money in the banana stand.

Finally, I got a fun t-shirt to remember the best state fair yet, also purchased with a coupon. "I Like You" was the best vendor at the fair, in my opinion. Fun, unique, and local! I wore this shirt yesterday. :)


Other favorites, not caught on camera:
- People Watching (entertainment in itself!)
- Learning about farms, animals, and agriculture. The milking demonstration was so fascinating! 
- Participating in all the traditions. Sweet Martha's Cookies, the 2:00 parade & Miracle of Birth Center
- The old fashioned photo booth
- Ye Old Mill (first time!)

1 comment:

  1. I have that shirt too! Looks like you got your fill of fair food for a while. I wish we could have gone two days also so we could eat more! It's so sad thinking about not being able to go every year :(

    ReplyDelete