Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wait, what?

The movers come in three days and Bryant and I have been keeping busy with various crafts and hobbies to prepare for this occasion. We went shopping to buy supplies for the crafts, sat down and created them, started a new project last night and we are almost done with it! We made coasters and are creating a ma---- wait, did you just say the movers come in three (3) days???

WHAT?!

Yeah, welcome to Hannah's brain. I am sure you might be thinking that we have the good life where the movers come pack everything up and whisk it away all in two days leaving time to make crafty things (which we actually do live the good life)... but what we actually do NOT have is time to be making crafts. I am so out of touch with the reality that we are going to be living in a hotel for the next 2+ months starting SUNDAY that I actually convinced Bryant we could make a cork board map of England in our spare time instead of packing. If you're wondering, that is the project we are almost done with and yes, it's really cute and yes, I sponged the design idea from Design*Sponge even though it has deviated significantly from the initial idea. :)

Photos to come...

I will however share photos of the first said project: coasters! I had fun with this one, although completing it outdoors would have probably better, considering the spray glue and spray paint. Bryant joined in on the fun about halfway through and I was reminded of how much more fun I have when I have some help and a pal to watch progress in the making.

First we started with tiles. $.54 each from Dick Blick art store.
We used lace purchased at JoAnn Fabric for $3.69/yd and a can of spray glue also from Blick for about $4.
Next I sprayed the lace with glue, let it air dry for about 30 seconds to make it tacky and I placed it on the tile, or in this case, 2 pieces. I made sure there weren't any wrinkles in the lace and it helped to not tuck the excess under the tile for its removal afterwards.
I sprayed the tile with gold spray paint, totally unevenly, mind you, and it still turned out really well. You  can reuse the same piece of lace for another tile because the paint dries quickly on the lace. Lifting it off the tile after painting was a breeze and it should be done about a minute after painting.
The next day, we cut out squares of cork (you can get a small roll of cork for about $4), spray glued them to the back and set a heavy object on top to let the glue set strongly.
Thanks for the inspiration, Martha!
You can find Martha's full instructions here. The fact that she made it look so easy was why I felt like I could do it. Not that I am complaining, but this sort of thing is harder than it looks. Sure it was "easy," but you have to collect the supplies, get the knack for spray painting evenly, and prevent gluing your fingers together & putting a thin layer of gold on your table. Actually, I probably shouldn't be admitting to this because the more I think about the trouble I had, the more like a 10-year-old I feel. :) I don't mind, though because it was fun and I love my coasters!

Doesn't it kind of remind you of photogram art? I love the classy/romantic lace with the modern and practical style of presenting it! 



Next time on "Words with a Couple of Ditties" we'll be even closer to our move and journey to ENGLAND! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. You're super crafty! That looks like a really fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl has a friend who paints cars like that, it's really cool

    (while in production)
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=202983773053797&set=a.202941613058013.52615.100000265287518&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete